Friday, August 10, 2012

Marico and the like

Venezuela is such an amazing country in both fronts. It is interesting to experience its everyday life and see its people interacting, worrying and having fun. I personally have had very interesting experience here.

When I came to Venezuela I was a bit alarmed when I heard the term "marico" being used freely. The first time when I heard it, I was at a bus stand. Two men were referring to each other using this term. I was jolted and turned to look at them. Initially I thought maybe one of them was making offensive remarks at the other. I then tried to look at the other passengers to see their reaction. Their reaction was of total oblivious, as if nothing was happening. This bothered me throughout the journey and the first thing I did when I arrived at my destination was to inquire about this situation.

For those who are not familiar with the term, "marico" in Spanish it means "gay". But here in Venezuela the term is used freely among friends. It is not just among the youngsters, but it also among the old people. I have seen old people of around 60 years old using this term. For them it is nothing but just a word that you use with friends.

One would say, "Epale marico" like "how are you man"

But there is still the actual meaning it carries. Though they might use it to refer to friends or call the attention of friends, it all depends upon the context it is used. If it is not used in a friendly way the it will be used to refer to gay people.

So don't be shocked when you hear it. I have also tried to use it a couple of times. But it needs proper pronunciation cause if you don't do so it might end up sounding the opposite. So listen and learn.

A friend of mine from Argentina told me that this term is also used there among friends. I am not sure how many countries use it so in case anyone who has experience with this term, please leave a comment below. Let's talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment