Thursday, August 2, 2012

English in Venezuela

If you are thinking of coming to Venezuela it will be nice to have some level of Spanish that will enable you to communicate with people. This will make your life much more easier.

But even if you don't speak any Spanish, that shouldn't stop you from coming to Venezuela. When I came to Venezuela I didn't speak any Spanish. I had great troubles at first but after 8 months I can say things are pretty well. Eitherways, the environment will work in your favor; to assist you to speak Spanish since no one speaks English here.

But I have had the pleasure of meeting few who do. Since I am living in Barquisimeto, it might not be easier as one who is living in Caracas for example, but there is always an opportunity of meeting someone who does speak the language. These are those who lived abroad for sometime, or whose families speak in English. But also I have met many students from University who might speak English. There is one University for example which produces English teachers for the country. Here you will have more luck.

But don't worry, with time and practice you will be able to learn Spanish. Venezuelan Spanish is different from the one in Spain or from Argentina. They have different words for things. But this won't stop them from understanding your Spain Spanish. Make sure to remind them to speak slowly cause they always get carried away thinking they are speaking to a native. For sometime this has gotten me really angry but I have learned to adjust.

So don't shy away. You can learn it here if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment