Saturday, July 7, 2012

Genesis

I came to Venezuela after being in Tanzania for a year more or less, after graduating from University in Malaysia. As my nature dictates, I can't stay in a place for too long without getting bored out of my mind. And so the journey started. The journey to Venezuela. The journey to the end of the world.

I remember since I was young, Venezuela presented itself as such an intriguing place and I vowed to visit it one day. For me it sounded like one of the best countries, relaxed; totally Caribbean. And so when the opportunity presented itself I never dared to reject it.

It was also due to the fact that Spanish had become one of my little obsession that this journey took flight. Venezuela was the best place to be, especially after learning that the Spanish accent in Venezuela is considered as the most suave in Latin America.


But I wouldn't lie to you that I was not concerned about its state of security and leadership especially after reading so much on the net. The picture was very dark and gloomy; scary enough to stop me from committing myself to the decision I had made. But after persuasion and reality checks I decided to go ahead with this plan.

One of the things I had to do was to head to Kenya, which is one day from Tanzania by bus in order to apply for the Visa. I had already submitted all the documents before and what remained was picking my Visa. I would stay with a dear friend, Gregory Otieno, for one day. After picking my Visa up I would head back to Tanzania. I remember when I was at the border entering Kenya, the custom officer made a comment that I seem to be visiting quite weird/funny countries after seeing the chops in my passport. And after hearing that I was heading to Kenya to pick up my Visa to Venezuela, he nodded his head with a sneaky smile on his face. I just had to laugh along.

The Embajada is housed in some house converted into an office. Inside it is well decorated with the painting of Miranda greeting you when you enter. I was served by a lady of very tiny stature. She indeed would pale in difference from the women I would meet in her country. She spoke good English though her assistant, a plumb and a bit taller girl spoke very basic English. I was told that she would be in charge of the Cultural aspect of the Embassy in few days to come. I met the Ambassador briefly though there were not many words exchanged between us and indeed today it would be hard to remember him. I was also confused when I saw Republica Bolivariana at the entrance. I couldn't help but think of Bolivia. I would later understand it during my journey.

Before getting my Visa I had to rush to a nearby Bureau Exchange/Bank to change my money into dollars as they only accepted dollars. Before noon I had my Visa and ready to leave the Embajada. 

The second day I headed back to Tanzania getting ready for my journey. I had to work till the end of the month of October as I was leaving in early November; a few days my brother would do her journey to Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment